Monday, October 01, 2007

Giant Black Sea Bass

Video:


2 weeks ago, I went out diving in La Jolla Cove to see if we could catch a glimpse of the black sea bass that are said to be in the kelp forests this time of year. We had no luck, mainly because we descended on the wrong buoy. This past Sunday, I went back in the water with my sister to look for the seabass at a different buoy. . . and we found 'em!

I dive with two of these black sea bass every week at the Long Beach Aquarium, but this is the first time I've seen them in the wild. This species can grow to as large as 500 lbs, though the ones we saw in La Jolla were probably ~150 - 200 lbs. We saw 4 of them at one time, and they were very cool to watch. Check out the video above, and take a look at some of my pictures from the dives at my flickr site.

No comments: